2021 Reading Center program at Walsh Academy
July 6-Aug. 19
Our apologies, but the program has reached capacity and the registration form has been removed. If you wish to be considered for the summer of 2022 program, please email Sheri Voss, Reading Center Director.
The School of Education at St. Bonaventure University offers a collaborative clinic that is home to the Reading Center, which is described below.
The collaborative clinic serves the literacy needs of children in the Southern Tier of New York and Northern Tier of Pennsylvania.
St. Bonaventure Reading Center
The Reading Center is a renowned component of our MSED B-12 Literacy program. Students in pre-K through 12th grades are granted the opportunity to strengthen their reading skills through programs conducted by graduate level literacy teachers.
The focus of these efforts is assessment and instruction in reading.
For students with exceptionalities
Information about these additional services that are available to local students with exceptionalities through our graduate programs:
- Individual Assistive Technology Evaluation Program (conducted through DIFF 515 for local P-12 students; provides recommendations for individual assistive technology devices and services);
- Individual Educational Evaluation Program (conducted through DIFF 503 for local P-12 students who may be gifted; provides individual instructional levels and recommendations for differentiated instruction)
A 7-week Learning to Read program for children in grades B-12 is being conducted by New York state certified teachers enrolled in the graduate MSED B-12 Literacy program at St. Bonaventure University. The program is available to children who live within driving distance of St. Bonaventure University.
Each child in the program receives:
- A personal NYS certified teacher
- A diagnostic reading evaluation and report
- Individualized learning sessions to build lifelong reading skills
- An educational plan for the future
- A personalized reading kit of books and manipulatives that can be used at home and school
- A certificate and award at our closing ceremony