St. Bonaventure University

International Students

international students

Application Process for International Students

Craig SinesiouIf you are an international student seeking admission to St. Bonaventure University, please plan to commence the application process well in advance — at least 5 months — of the desired start date. The process can be involved and lengthy. Plan to apply online.

Keep in mind that a minimum of 16 years of schooling and an earned degree equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree is required.

Application Items 

Please note that in addition to meeting the general graduate admissions requirements listed below, you’ll need to provide the following: 

  • Transcripts. If your previous college academic work was undertaken in other than the U.S. or Canada, you must provide an evaluated transcript along with the official copies. This evaluation must be done by a professional educational evaluation service. Among the organizations providing this service (for a fee) is World Education Services, Inc. Transcripts should bear the official seal of the issuing school along with the signature of a school official and be provided in sealed envelopes.  
  • If English is not your native language and you have not earned your undergrad degree in an English language environment, you should plan to take the IELTS or TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) exam and have score reports sent to St. Bonaventure University. Successful applicants typically show TOEFL scores of at least 213 on the computer-based test, 550 on the paper edition and 78 on the Internet-based test. St. Bonaventure will look for an IELTS overall score of at least a 6.0 with no band lower than a 5.0.
SBU does not offer an English language training program. 

Application for admission should be completed online.

Send application documents to:                          
St. Bonaventure University                         
Office of Graduate Admissions                         
P.O. Box 2520   Hopkins Hall                     
St. Bonaventure, NY 14778 

To request a paper copy of the application, contact the Office of Graduate Admissions at 716-375-2021 or at

  • International Student Enrollment 

    You must demonstrate sufficient resources to cover one full year of study (to show $27,000 for one year of study including $995 mandatory health insurance — combining personal/institutional funds) before the university will issue an I-20. The necessary documents and instructions are provided with the admission application and here with the certification of finances form. Many applicants provide this information at the time of application.   

    Once in receipt of an I-20, you may visit the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to apply for an F-1 visa. Be advised that consular officials may require their own proof of financial support and English proficiency.

    Transfer Certification

    Any student coming from a U.S. program (college, university, high school, ESL) must fill out the Transfer Certification form.

    Enrollment Status & Health Insurance  

    St. Bonaventure University requires that international students be enrolled full time except for the last semester in attendance. You'll also be required to purchase the university's student health insurance coverage.    

    Support Services 

    The Office of International Student Services issues the I-20 and provides a range of advisement and services to international students, before arrival and during attendance. This office also ensures adherence to U.S. immigration regulations and works with international students to help them maintain the F-1 visa status. All immigration-related petitions, including employment requests, are filed through this office. For assistance from the Office of International Studies, contact Yvette Jordan at


    St. Bonaventure offers housing to single international students — most residential graduate students live in Francis Hall. Meals may be obtained through the university's meal plans or can be prepared in cooking facilities in the residence area. Contact the university’s housing office at 1-716-375-2009 if you have questions. Housing for married couples is not available.  

    International students at St. Bonaventure's Buffalo Center in Hamburg, N.Y., find a variety of living options commensurate with a metropolitan area of 300,000.

    U.S. Government Fees

    The U.S. Department of Homeland Security requires all non-citizens who enter the U.S. as students to complete the I-901 Student/Exchange Visitor (SEVIS) Processing Fee Form and to pay a $200 (USD) SEVIS fee before they may receive a visa to enter the U.S. This fee, along with the I-901 form, must be paid via credit card at

    Please visit for details. Note that the SEVIS fee is not a visa fee. You may incur additional visa fees associated with securing an appointment at an overseas embassy. 

    Please Note: If you receive a scholarship or exchange award and your scholarship exceeds the amount of tuition or designated room grants, you may be responsible for a 14% foreign scholarship tax, depending on your country of origin. The Interna­tional Studies Office is responsible for monitoring students' F-I student status, and for implementing university and U.S. immigration regulations. All immigration-related petitions, including employment requests, are filed through this office.