Theology and Franciscan Studies
School of Arts and Sciences
Professor Emeritus, Theology and Franciscan Studies
General Editor, Franciscan Studies
Phone: (716) 541-7924
Send an email
- Franciscan Sources (13th-14th c.) in general
- HON 299. Honors Seminar on the Life of Francis of Assisi
- HON 299. Honors Seminar on the Life of Clare of Assisi
- HON 401. Honors Seminar on Building an Alternative Society: the Franciscan Model
- NV 303. Justice and Peace in the Franciscan Tradition
- SFS 518. The Franciscan Hagiographical Tradition
- SFS 519. The Companions and Disciples Tradition
- SFS 525. Introduction to the Writings of Francis and Clare of Assisi
- SFS 526. Clare of Assisi and Franciscan Women
- SFS 527. The Rule and Life of the Third Order Regular
- SFS 556. The Foundations of Franciscan Spirituality
- THEO 362. The Spirituality of the Franciscan Movement
- THFS 320. Franciscan Approach to Healthcare
- Pacioli Project: Understanding the Franciscan Origins and Values
- Ph.D., Medieval Studies, Catholic University of Louvain, 1974
- Teaching Certification, Catholic University of Louvain, 1968
- M.A., Classical Philology, Catholic University of Louvain, 1967
- B.A., Philosophy and Literature, St. Louis College, Brussels, 1965
Prior to working at SBU, also taught high school for four years and was an assistant professor at the Catholic University of Louvain.
- Écrits de François d’Assise, French translation with introduction and notes in François d’Assise: Écrits, Vies et Témoignages (Paris: Éditions du Cerf – Éditions franciscaines, 2010).
- Clare of Assisi, A Woman’s Life: Symbols of the Feminine in Her Writings, New Updated Edition (Phoenix: Tau Publishing, 2013).
- “From Brother Francis to the Poor Sisters of San Damiano: What is left of their correspondence?” in Her Bright Merits: Essays honoring Ingrid J. Peterson, OSF (St. Bonaventure: Franciscan Institute Publications, 2012), 61-81.
- “Francis and Clare and the emergence of the Second Order,” in The Cambridge Companion to Francis of Assisi, ed. Michael J.P. Robson (Cambridge: University Press, 2012), 115-126.
- “The Autographs of Brother Francis of Assisi,” in Studies in Early Franciscan Sources, Vol. 1 (St. Bonaventure: Franciscan Institute Publications, 2011), 51-99.
- “The Salutations of Brother Francis of Assisi,” in Studies in Early Franciscan Sources, Vol. 1 (St. Bonaventure: Franciscan Institute Publications, 2011), 301-327.
- “Clare’s Blessing,” in Studies in Early Franciscan Sources, Vol. 3 (St. Bonaventure: Franciscan Institute Publications, 2011), 135-147.
- “Illi qui volunt religiose stare in eremis: Eremitical practice in the life of the early Franciscans” in Medieval Franciscans at prayer (Leiden: Brill, 2007), 307-331.
- New and updated edition of Damien Vorreux, First Encounter with Francis of Assisi (St. Bonaventure: Franciscan Institute Publications, 2012).
- Co-editor, History of the TOR Rule: A Source Book (St. Bonaventure: Franciscan Institute Publications, 2008).
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS/PROJECTS
- The Origins of the Franciscan Movement
- Franciscans and Works of Mercy/Compassion
- Franciscans and Social Justice
- The Spirit and Life of Francis and Clare
PERSONAL INTERESTS/COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
- Franciscan Pilgrimage Programs
- Health Care Access Coalition (HCAC)