SEPTEMBER 24 & 25
Family weekend at SBU
Family weekend reunites students with their families early in the fall semester, when students have settled into their campus routine and are excited to share their life as a Bonnie with their loved ones.
A weekend of family-friendly fun
Family Weekend, sponsored by the Campus Activities Board and the Center for Activities, Recreation and Leadership at St. Bonaventure, reunites students and their families so that all may share the rich and varied experiences that make up college life at SBU.
This year's Family Weekend is set for Sept. 24 & 25.
The weekend includes live entertainment, family-oriented games and contests, demonstrations, receptions, club sports contests, and a host of other events including the wet and wild Polar Spray fundraiser for Special Olympics New York, and the Family Festival featuring live music, food trucks, student group vendors, and much more.
Please note that all events and activities are tentative and subject to all COVID-19 safety protocols that may be in place at the time.
Tentative schedule of events
(Return often for schedule additions & updates)
Friday, Sept. 24
- 5 p.m. — Dr. Paula Scraba's Polar Spray Special Olympics fundraiser on the outdoor basketball courts between Reilly and Richter centers.
- 6 p.m. — Faculty and Family Social at Fairway View Pavilion, St. Bonaventure Golf Course.
- 8 p.m. — Trivia Night in the Rathskeller, hosted by the Campus Activities Board and the Student Success Center. Teams of up to 6 people with prizes awarded to the top three teams.
- 9 p.m. — Acoustic music at the new Marchiori Pavilion on lawn outside Devereux Hall.
- 9:30 p.m.-midnight — Evening in the Rathskeller, with table games, and food and drink specials.
Saturday, Sept. 25
- 8 a.m.-1 p.m. — Family Weekend Golf at the SBU Golf Course. Price per person and for riding carts to be determined. For tee times, register here.
- 9 a.m. — Family Fun Run/Walk for students, family members, faculty and staff. Registration begins at 8:15 a.m. near the Allegheny River Valley Trail access by the SBU tennis courts. Questions? Email Alan Riddle, director of Annual Giving.
- 9:30 a.m. — Campus Tours for prospective students. Is there a family member in high school who will be graduating soon? Have them join our Office for Admissions for a campus tour. These will depart from the McGinley-Carney Center at times to be announced. Questions? Email Admissions Counselor Katie Crotty.
- 9:30 a.m. — ROTC demonstration and fall awards ceremony. Watch a demonstration of a ROTC cadet mission followed by a recognition ceremony of cadet accomplishments, on the lawn between Richter Center and Doyle Hall. A reception will follow in the lower level of Doyle. Questions? Email John Gordnier, assistant senior military instructor.
- 11 a.m.-noon — Family Weekend Reception with Dr. Joseph Zimmer, acting university president, Hall of Fame Room in Reilly Center; sponsored by Alumni Services and the Office of Advancement.
- 11 a.m.-3 p.m. — Family Festival, an annual Family Weekend event held rain or shine on the outdoor basketball courts between Richter and Reilly centers. Dozens of student groups will be selling SBU items, along with other craft vendors. There will be live music, food trucks, art and much more. Questions? Email Mary Frac, assistant director of the Center for Activities, Recreation and Leadership.
- 3-3:45 p.m. — Honor Program Reception for invited first-year students and family members in the Reilly Center Hall of Fame Room, hosted by the Honors Council, academic deans, and Acting University President Dr. Joseph Zimmer. RSVP required. Questions? Email Dr. Megan Walsh, professor of English.
- 4:30 p.m. — Family Weekend Mass in the University Chapel in Doyle Hall; open to all. Note: This is the only Mass on campus during Family Weekend.
- 9 p.m.-midnight — Evening in the Rathskeller. Enjoy table games along with food and drink specials.