In order to prepare our students to be future leaders and positive contributors to our society and community, Student Development ignites diversity, equity and inclusion experiences for our campus through the Equity Institute.
Promoting campuswide respect and understanding
The Equity Institute, which houses the Damietta Center, takes information and insight from our students in combination with national data to form a resource and community of programming and engagement for our diverse and ally students.
This institute provides opportunities for students to learn and understand the effects of prejudice and inequality in the world and inspires students to become representatives of social justice. We strive to promote a campus wide environment that encourages all students to engage, respect and love all people.
Our objectives are to:
- lead students to have open and challenging discussions around concepts of diversity and identity
- encourage students to step out of their comfort zones
- guide students to be well-rounded individuals
- strive to provide a welcoming environment for all students
Events and programming include:
- Café Damietta: monthly conversations on DEI or the topic of the diversity awareness/heritage calendar
- Speaker Series: guest speakers who are leaders in their field
- Multicultural Gala: annual event in the spring semester, hosted by our student leaders
- Multicultural Stole Ceremony: In this ceremony, part of Commencement weekend, honored students receive a stole from someone who has played a significant role in their success.