Inclusive Special Education
School of Education
Professor,Inclusive Special Education
Office Phone: (716) 375-2165
Send an Email
Plassmann Hall, B16
- DIFF 503. Assessment of Students with Exceptionalities
- DIFF 511. Foundations of Inclusive Education
- DIFF 515. Assistive Technology
- SPED 450. Advanced Teaching Methods for Students with Disabilities
- Ph.D., Department of Learning and Instruction, Inclusive Education, University at Buffalo
- M.Ed., Educational Psychology, University at Buffalo
- B.S.Ed., Elementary & Special Education, Clarion State College
- Lawrence-Brown, D. (2016). Collaborative teamwork and advocacy. In McGinley, V. & Trolley, B. (Eds.), Working with Students with Disabilities: Preparing School Counselors. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Lawrence-Brown, D.& Sapon-Shevin, M. (2014). Condition Critical: Key Principles for Equitable and Inclusive Schooling. New York: Teachers College Press (Disability, Culture, and Equity series).
- Magiera, K., Lawrence-Brown, D., Bloomquist, K., Foster, C., Figueroa, A., Glatz, K. Heppeler, D., Rodriguez, P. (2006). On the Road to More Collaborative Teaching. Teaching Exceptional Children Plus, 2(5), 1-12
- Lawrence-Brown, D. & Muschaweck, K. (2004). Getting Started with Collaborative Teamwork for Inclusion. Catholic Education, 8(2), 146-161
- Richardson, G., Lawrence-Brown, D., & Paige, S. (2004). Rejecting Pygmalion: The Social and Cultural Capital of Working-Class Women Ph.D. Students. Race, Gender, and Class
- Lawrence-Brown, D. (2004). Differentiated instruction: Inclusive Strategies for Standards-based Learning That Benefit the Whole Class. American Secondary Education, 32(3), 34-62
- Lawrence-Brown, D. (2000). The Segregation of Stephen. In Cornbleth, C. (Ed.), Curriculum Politics, Policy, and Practice. Albany: SUNY Press
Given individualized supports, all students can learn utilizing authentic instruction that is grounded, applied, and assessed in "real-life" community environments.
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS/PROJECTS
- Teacher education and curriculum, specializing in authentic and responsive pedagogy for diverse learners.
- Interaction of education policy and practice, including how power is exercised in schools and who benefits.
- History of education, especially inclusion of individuals with disabilities in schools, communities, and society.
PERSONAL INTERESTS/COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Social justice issues
- Watching stand-up comedy.