The MSED program in Educational Leadership is designed for candidates who want more than an entry level administrative certification and is ideal for those seeking to increase their marketability inside and outside of New York State.
Three options are offered in the educational leadership program:
- SBL - School Building Leader (24 credits)
- MSED in Educational Leadership (SBL plus 6 additional credits)
- SDL - School District Leader (12 credits beyond the SBL)
The program prepares candidates to conduct and analyze educational research and gives them more in-depth courses and experiences at the district level.
SBL & SDL classes meet (alternating by semester) at both the SBU Buffalo Center and the main SBU campus in Olean and employ a hybrid format. Classes meet on Saturdays three times each semester, with the rest of the coursework done online.
Admission to the MSED programs requires:
- Master’s degree in education (or a certification-related area), with a 3.0 or better GPA is recommended
- Teacher or school counselor certification
- Three years of K-12 school experience
- References (two, at least one from a supervising principal or superintendent)
- Interview & writing sample
See the SBL and SDL pages for information about admission to those programs
Get printable PDFs of the programs
MSED Educational Leadership
School Building Leader
School District Leader