The remarkable effectiveness of mathematics to reveal and quantify patterns in every human discipline makes a degree in mathematics enormously valuable and versatile.
- The curriculum offers foundational courses in calculus, discrete mathematics, analysis, and abstract algebra, as well as electives that students may select based on their interests or career goals.
- The program is flexible enough that a student may complement the mathematics major with a minor, a second major, or honors. Mathematics majors have pursued minors or second majors in areas such as computer science, chemistry, finance, and physics.
- The mathematics major provides excellent preparation for secondary school teaching. After obtaining a BS with a Major in Mathematics, a student may remain at St. Bonaventure and complete an MSEd in Adolescent Education. Alternately, a student may obtain a BS in Adolescent Education with a Concentration in Mathematics. Either path helps students obtain their initial certification to teach mathematics in grades 7-12 in New York State.
- Students receive one-on-one advising with departmental faculty in selecting a program of study and in pursuing admission to graduate school, professional programs or careers in mathematics.
- Non-majors may obtain a minor in mathematics to complement their own major. A mathematics minor goes well with a major in chemistry, computer science, finance, physics, and just about anything else.
The Chair of the Department of Mathematics is Dr. Maureen Cox, who may be contacted by email or by phone at (716) 375-2476. The Department is located in the Mathematics Suite, which is comprised of rooms 301 and 303 of De La Roche Hall.
The Department of Mathematics offers a B.S. in mathematics and a minor in mathematics.
Bachelor of Science in mathematics
The major in mathematics provides a broad foundation of mathematical knowledge and a selection of electives that the student may select based on their interests or career goals.
Degree requirements and a four-year plan for the mathematics major
Minor in mathematics
For non-majors, the math minor provides a solid grounding in mathematics to aid in the understanding of their major fields.
Requirements for the math minor