May 07, 2021 |
After a one-year hiatus due to the pandemic, the Franciscan Center for Social Concern will once again host a multi-day sale at St. Bonaventure University to raise funds in support of direct service programming.
The Move Out Sale will be held from May 17-19 in Butler Gym. The university will re-open to visitors for the summer, beginning May 17.
The sale will be open to the public from 6:30-8:30 p.m. May 17, from 9 a.m. to noon and 12:30-4 p.m. May 18, and from 9 a.m. to noon on May 19.
The Franciscan Center for Social Concern is SBU’s home for direct service, social justice, and advocacy programming.
Each year, the FCSC holds a massive garage sale with items students donate when they leave for the summer. Student volunteers will collect, organize, and sell donated goods, while also making sure the sale follows proper COVID-19 safety guidelines.
The Move Out Sale is coordinated by the FCSC with the primary goal of raising funds for its various service and outreach programs, such as Bona Buddies, the Warming House, Silver Wolves, SBU@SPCA, the SBU Food Pantry, and many others.
“Finding a new home for these goods aligns with Catholic social teaching and the Franciscan value of care for creation,” said sophomore Valentina Cossio, the student coordinator for this year’s Move Out Sale. “We are so happy to find new homes for the items that our students are not able to take home at the end of the school year.”
Because of the pandemic, there will be some changes to the sale this year:
- Face coverings are to be worn at all times while inside Butler Gym.
- A virtual shopper option will be available for those unable to go into Butler Gym. Guests wishing to use the virtual shopper will be paired with a volunteer who will connect on a video call and walk through the sale to offer shopping and purchases of items.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be located at several locations at the sale.
- No more than 50 guests will be permitted in Butler Gym at one time. Guests waiting to enter the gym will need to socially distance in a well-marked queue.
- At the end of each day and at noon on Tuesday, May 18, all guests will exit Butler Gym so that the building can be sanitized.
For more information, contact Alice Miller Nation, director of the FCSC, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the University: The nation’s first Franciscan university, St. Bonaventure University is a community committed to transforming the lives of our students inside and outside the classroom, inspiring in them a lifelong commitment to service and citizenship. In 2020, St. Bonaventure was named the #2 regional university value in New York and #3 in the North by U.S. News and World Report.