Separate dates are established each year for first-year students, transfer students, and returning students to arrive on campus and move into their residence halls, townhouses or apartment units.
Fall semester Move-In Weekend is the weekend before the first day of classes. Freshmen move in on Friday, transfer students on Saturday, and returning students on Saturday or Sunday.
2023 Welcome Days for incoming freshmen
Our newest Bonnies, the Class of 2027, will move into their residence halls on Friday, Aug. 25, beginning a three-day schedule of welcoming activities.
Friday, Aug. 25: A Day of Welcome
- 9 a.m.-3 p.m.: Residential students will move into their residence halls. Students are to follow the move-in process for their assigned residence hall that they will receive in an email from the Residence Life office in early August. There will be plenty of volunteers on hand to help students and their families unload vehicles and carry belongings to rooms.
You will check in for Welcome Days between 6:30-7:30 p.m. at the tent outside Hickey Dining Hall. Dinner will be available for you and your family if you would like to eat on campus.
- 7:45 p.m.: All students will attend your first Welcome Days meeting. Locations will be different for each student and will be indicated on your Welcome Days schedule.
- 8:30 p.m., Candlelight Ceremony: This long-standing tradition inducts our new students as official Bonnies. Families should gather on the lawn outside Plassmann Hall. After the ceremony, we ask families to say their goodbyes and allow students to participate fully in the rest of Welcome Days.
Saturday, Aug. 26: A Day of Classes
- The day will provide information that will help students succeed in and out of the classroom. Meetings will follow a “class schedule” with workshops facilitated by faculty members, the Orientation Team, peer coaches, and representatives from various campus offices. Some presentations will include mandatory educational programming about important campus life topics. The day will end with Bona’s After Dark social activities.
Sunday, Aug. 27: A Day of Involvement
- This day includes important educational programming about campus life. In the afternoon, you’ll have your choice of a variety of workshops, selecting topics that apply the most to you. Topics include campus employment, academic skills, and opportunities for campus involvement.
- Welcome Days will conclude with the Mass of the Holy Spirit and residential floor meetings on Sunday evening.
Transfer students should move into residence halls on Saturday. They should follow the instructions sent by Residence Life to check in at their assigned residence hall.
Transfer student orientation will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 27, with registration and breakfast at 9:30 a.m. in the Robert R. Jones Room of the University Conference Center in Doyle Hall, located behind the University Chapel. Additional optional events will follow the formal orientation program, which will close with the Mass of the Holy Spirit hosted by University Ministries.
Returning students may move in to their residence hall on Saturday or Sunday.
Monday, Aug. 28: Fall semester classes begin