School of Arts and Sciences
Professor Emeritus, Philosophy
- PHIL 102. Introduction to Philosophy
- PHIL 210. Metaphysics
- PHIL 325. Philosophy of Law
- Philosophy of Buddhism
- CLAR 101. The Intellectual Journey
- CLAR 208. World Views
- CLAR 304. The Good Life
- Ph.D. University of California, Santa Barbara, 1973
- M.A., University of California, Santa Barbara, 1968
- A.B., University of Notre Dame, 1966
Management Development Program, Harvard University
Ethics, Metaphysics, Philosophy of Buddhism, Philosophy of Law
- Ethics of Compassion, Rowman & Littlefield, 2008
- Three dozen conference papers/journal articles in ethics and action theory.
Guide students in thinking deeply and systematically on issues of life-importance.
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS/PROJECTS
I am finishing a paper on issues relating to “free will.” I am in the middle of a paper-project on legal responsibility & punishment. My sabbatic leave project (2009) will compare Thomas Aquinas and Mahayana Buddhism on “the unity of the virtues.”
PERSONAL INTERESTS/COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
I lead a meditation group on campus and am director of the Dzogchen Ati Ling Meditation Center in Jamestown. Over the next couple of years, I hope to oversee the establishment of a meditation-retreat center in Olean. I am a 20+ year member of Rotary International and I currently chair the Faculty Senate at St. Bonaventure.