School of Arts and Sciences
Professor of English
Director, University Honors Program
Office phone: (716) 375-2447
Send an Email
Plassmann Hall F-2
- ENG 101. Writing I
- ENG 102. Writing II
- ENG 220. American Literature I
- ENG 221. American Literature II
- ENG 375. American Novel to 1865
- ENG 379. African American Literature
- ENG 500. Bibliography/Methods of Research
- ENG 572. American Literature of the Nineteenth Century
- ENG 574. American Literary Movements
- Ph.D. (2010) and M.A. (2006), English, Temple University
- B.A. (2003), History and English (Honors), University of Wisconsin-Madison
- The Portrait and the Book: Illustration and Literary Culture in Early America. Iowa City: University of Iowa Press, 2017.
- Frank J. Webb’s The Garies and Their Friends (1857). Co-edited with William Huntting Howell. Calgary: Broadview Press, 2016.
- Bad Archives: Extra-Illustration and Information Management in the Nineteenth-Century United States (book manuscript in progress)
- Selected Articles and Chapters
- “George Washington in the Library: Extra-illustration in the Nineteenth-Century United States.” Special issue of Die Wolfenbütteler Notizen zur Buchgeschichte. Eds. Christina Ionescu and Sandro Jung. Forthcoming.
- “Book Illustration and Consumer Culture.” A Companion to Eighteenth-Century Literary Illustration, Volume 1: Theoretical Approaches. Eds. Leigh G. Dillard and Christina Ionescu. Bethlehem: Lehigh University Press. Forthcoming.
- “Wieland, Illustrated: Word and Image in the Early American Novel.” Literature in the Early American Republic 6 (2014): 113-136.
- “Diagram of a Fugitive Slave Narrative.” Common-place 13, no. 3 (2013). www.common-place.org
- “The Politics of Vision: Charles Willson Peale in Print.” Early American Literature 46, no. 1 (2011): 69-92.
- “Benjamin Franklin’s Material Cultures.” A Companion to Benjamin Franklin. Ed. David Waldstreicher. Oxford: Blackwell Press, 2011. 412-29.
- “Picturing Benjamin Franklin in the Classroom: Teaching Early American Literature with Digital Archives.” Teaching American Literature 5, no. 1 (2011): 1-11.
- Selected Awards/Fellowships
- NEH-AAS Fellowship, American Antiquarian Society, 2019-2020
- Northeast Modern Language Association Fellowship, Newberry Library, 2013-2014
- Franklin Research Grant, American Philosophical Society, 2013-2014
- Junior Faculty Prize for Professional Excellence in Research, Teaching, and Service, St. Bonaventure University, 2013-2014 (awarded every three years)
- Northeast Modern Language Association Fellowship (joint with William Huntting Howell), American Antiquarian Society, 2012-2013
- Lillian Gary Taylor Visiting Fellowship in American Literature, Mary and David Harrison Institute for American History, Literature, and Culture at the University of Virginia, 2012-2013
- Society for Historians of the Early American Republic Fellowship, Library Company of Philadelphia and Historical Society of Pennsylvania, 2010-2011
- American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies/Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Fellowship, Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas at Austin, 2010-2011
- Monticello Research Fellowship, Robert H. Smith International Center for Jefferson Studies at Monticello, 2010-2011
- Robert M. & Annetta J. Coffelt Fellowship at the John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, 2008-2009
- Winterthur Short-term Fellowship, Winterthur Museum, Garden, and Library, 2008-2009
- Consortium Dissertation Fellowship, McNeil Center for Early American Studies at the University of Pennsylvania, 2008-2009
- Smithsonian Institution Graduate Fellowship, Smithsonian Institution American Art Museum and National Portrait Gallery, 2006-2007
- Selected Service
- University Planning Commission, St. Bonaventure University
- Board of Trustees Academic Affairs Committee, St. Bonaventure University
- Provost’s Academic Advisory Council, St. Bonaventure University
- Editorial Board, Early American Studies
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS/PROJECTS
PERSONAL INTERESTS/COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT