Accounting graduates continue to be in great demand. Employment of accountants and auditors is projected to grow 10% in the decade ending in 2026, faster than the average for all occupations, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Not only are graduates finding vast opportunities and lucrative salaries, but most are landing jobs before they're done with school. Nearly all of our accounting graduates (98 percent) have a job offer in hand before commencement.
Through a combination of innovative coursework that balances analytical thinking and creativity, one-to-one interaction with faculty, attractive internships, and an opportunity to earn both your BBA in accounting and your MBA in professional accountancy in five years (or less), SBU accounting graduates are well-equipped to achieve professional success.
Two accounting degree plans available:
- BBA: The 120-hour Bachelor of Business Administration prepares accounting students to work in a variety of accounting and business fields, tailored to their individual interests.
- BBA and MBA: This 4+1 program (150 hours in total) is structured so that students first earn a BBA in accounting and then an MBA in professional accountancy. With careful planning, both can be completed in 5 years ... or less.
Accounting Program Advantages
- Be In Demand: 98% of our accounting students have a job offer before graduation, and recruiters from regional and national accounting firms visit campus regularly and begin identifying our best prospects in their sophomore years, frequently offering internships that pave the way for employment upon graduation.
- Accredited Programs: The School of Business is accredited through The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International), ensuring parents and students that we are meeting tough standards and providing a top-quality education.
- Small Class Size: An 11:1 student to faculty ratio means that your professors will work with you 1:1 to identify and provide the best opportunities and resources to match your interests and ambitions.
- Integrated Ethics: We are committed to educating outstanding future managers and leaders who incorporate the Franciscan values of individual dignity, community inclusiveness, and service to others.
- Internships: You are required to complete an internship, an opportunity to gain invaluable on-the-job experience and make you a stronger job candidate.
With your BBA and MBA in hand, you will be prepared for a career in public accounting as well as higher-level entry points into major banks, corporations, government agencies and other organizations. Starting salaries are growing for finance professionals in the U.S. and hiring demand for recent college graduates is on the rise. Students who choose to major in accounting go on to find jobs in the following career fields:
- public accounting
- corporate accounting
- nonprofit organizations
Learn more about the typical career areas
and the types of employers that hire people accounting majors.
Accounting students and alumni speak out about St. Bonaventure, student life, Franciscan values, and the career advantages of being an accounting grad.
United Way to open VITA office Jan. 22
Jan 19, 2018 |
2018 site will be a Facilitated Self Assistance site
The United Way of Cattaraugus County, located at 807 W. State St., Olean, will open the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) office on Jan. 22. The VITA site will be strictly a Facilitated Self Assistance site.
Taxpayers will have access to computers where they can use the United Way and H&R Block sponsored free tax preparation online software MYFREETAXES.COM to prepare their own taxes.
Community volunteers and United Way staff are IRS trained to assist and provide support for those preparing their own tax returns.
To qualify to use MYFREETAXES.COM for free tax return preparation and electronic filing, Cattaraugus County/New York state residents must have a family income of less than $62,000. Anyone who qualifies can electronically file their taxes on any computer. There are computers available in the Olean public library as well as at the Olean United Way office on an appointment basis.
Operating days are Monday through Friday. For more information on hours and availability of assistance, please call 585-307-7982.