Requirements for a Bachelor of Arts in Strategic Communication
The following table summarizes all requirements for a Bachelor of Arts in Strategic Communication. For an overview of a particular course, click on its title. Our Course Descriptions page lists all strategic communication and digital media courses. For one possible breakdown of the major by semester, see the Plan of Study below.
* The foreign language must be at the level of 202 or higher and may be modern of classical (Latin). Students not prepared to begin at this level will need to take additional courses in language that will count as general electives.
Plan of Study for a Bachelor of Arts in Strategic Communication
Below is a suggested four-year plan of study for meeting requirements for the Bachelor of Arts in Strategic Communication. Changes in the sequence of the plan may be desirable. These must be made in consultation with the student’s academic adviser. To see the title of a course in the plan of study, simply pass the cursor over the course's number. To see an overview of a course, click on its number. A list of all Strategic Communication courses is found on our Course Descriptions page.
*The modern/classical language must be at the level of 202 or higher. Students not prepared to begin at this level will need to take additional courses. Those additional courses will count as general electives.
** The Jandoli School of Communication requires MATH 107 or MATH 135 to satisfy the Quantitative Reasoning distribution of the university's General Education Requirements.
All Strategic Communication majors must complete 400 internship hours in order to graduate. Of those:
- 100 will be obtained by work done in the Synapse Group;
- 100 hours must be obtained by participating in on-campus media;
- and 200 (or 300, if no on-campus media hours are earned) must be obtained through off-campus internships.
Transfer students must complete 100 hours for each year they are on campus.
Students will complete this requirement in consultation with the school's internship coordinator.
Requirements for a minor in Strategic Communication
A minor for non-majors includes the completion of 21 credits as follows:
- 12 credits of the four required courses:
- 9 credits from SC course offerings, keeping in mind that prerequisites must be completed.
To declare a minor, a special form must be filed with the Records Office by the end of the student's junior year. Interested students should see their adviser.