The SBL Advanced Certificate program is designed for elementary and secondary teachers and school counselors seeking to become school principals. This offering is 24 hours in length, and includes coursework in curriculum development, leading effective inclusive schools, school finance and law, supervision, leadership and school-community relations. Six (6) hours of equivalent coursework may be accepted for transfer with the approval of the program director.
The SBL program is offered via a unique "hybrid" format. Each class meets 3 times (on Saturdays) per semester, with the rest of the course work completed online. The setting for these Saturday sessions alternates between the University’s main campus Olean and its Hilbert College Extension Center in Hamburg.
The SBL program offers fall and spring starts and can be finished up in four semesters with no summer classes, or completed in 18 months through an accelerated program including summer study.
The SBL program meets New York state course requirements for SBL certification.
With six additional credits, SBL students can receive the MSED in Educational Leadership.
SBL program requirements
Admission to the SBL programs requires:
- Master’s degree in education or a certification-related area, with a 3.0 or better GPA
- Teacher or school counselor certification
- Three years of K-12 school experience
- GRE or MAT score (NY State requirement)
- References (two, at least one from a supervising principal or superintendent)
- Interview & writing sample
Here is more information about this program: Fact Sheet