Master of Arts in English
The School of Arts and Sciences offers a Master of Arts degree in English on the main campus in Olean.
The M.A. in English offers financial support and unique opportunities for mentored classroom teaching experience. Students enjoy:
- small classes
- close collaboration with and advising from faculty
- an excellent record of success in seeking employment or gaining admission to doctoral programs.
- Transcripts from all undergraduate colleges, showing bachelor's degree and a solid undergraduate record.
- Demonstrated competency in reading Latin, French, German or Spanish. This requirement is usually fulfilled during the first semester of graduate work.
- Sufficient undergraduate coursework in English, Comparative Literature, or related subject areas, with a success that indicates the ability to pursue graduate work. Most English M.A. students will enter with a B.A. in English or literature, but students with degrees in other disciplines are encouraged to apply.
- Two recommendations addressing the applicant's ability to successfully undertake graduate study.
- Official scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) — general test. This requirement may now be waived for applicants with a 3.00 overall undergraduate GPA and a 3.50 or better GPA in relevant major courses (e.g. English, literature).
- Additional information (e.g. interview, writing sample) as may be requested by the program director.
As a learning/teaching fellow at St. Bonaventure University, you will assist senior faculty and teach under their guidance, giving you a competitive edge in the demanding academic marketplace. Learn more
To get a comprehensive overview of our Master of Arts in English program, take a look at our e-brochure.