Contact Us

For more information about the management program, please contact the Department Chair:

Dr. Todd Palmer
(716) 375-4037
tpalmer@sbu.edu 
100A Swan Business Center

Tell us more about you and your interests by completing our online
REQUEST INFORMATION FORM

Management News

More News

Lancour finds her footing in the business world at #Bonas

Oct 16, 2017 |

By Diana McElfresh, ’18

Samantha Lancour became involved with St. Bonaventure University’s Students in Money Management (SIMM) in her sophomore year. The senior finance and accounting major from Hoosick Falls, N.Y., wanted more experience in her preferred field.

Samantha Lancour in the Swan Business Center.“I was looking to get involved with more clubs on campus, and had heard great things about the club, so I figured I would give it a try,” she explained.

She really immersed herself in the program in her junior year, and now serves as operations manager for the organization, which allows her to interact with many students, as well as alumni.

“I feel that since I have become more involved and taken over the manager role in SIMM, I have gotten to know more people, especially underclassmen who are looking to get involved,” she said. 

She noted that SIMM keeps a database of its alumni, and offers access to it to all current SIMM members.

“I have also gotten to know the faculty and alumni more, since a big part of SIMM is all the networking that goes on within the club,” she said. “Also, being the operations manager means I deal directly with the board, who are also all alumni so keeping in touch with them and getting to know them really helps to expand my network.”

Lancour added that the strong alumni network within SIMM allows students to seek advice from people with experience in their chosen fields.

Lancour said she plans on working in accounting following graduation.

“I graduate with my BBA in May but I plan to come back for my fifth year to pursue my MBA toward a Proficiency in Accounting,” she said. “After I graduate with my MBA, I hope to take the CPA exam, and hopefully work for an accounting firm in their tax department.”

Though she doesn’t plan on pursuing investment after college, she said SIMM gives her a leg up by introducing her to good connections in the accounting world.

“Although I do not plan on pursuing an investment career, I still think learning what I have in SIMM can give me a good advantage when interviewing for a job,” Lancour said. 

She said she’s loved her experience with SIMM.

“All of the students who are involved in SIMM create a special bond because they spend so much time inside and outside of class helping one another,” she said. 

SIMM recently launched a crowdfunding site to boost funding for the program, featuring a $16,250 challenge match from alumni Chris and Eileen Madigan Kinslow and the SIMM Board. To make a gift and join the challenge, please visit www.sbu.edu/SIMMChallenge

______________

About the University: The nation’s first Franciscan university, we believe in the goodness of every person and in the ability of every person to do extraordinary things.  St. Bonaventure University cultivates graduates who are confident and creative communicators, collaborative leaders and team members, and innovative problem solvers who are respectful of themselves, others, and the diverse world around them. Named the #5 best college value in the North by U.S. News and World Report, we are establishing pathways to internships, graduate schools and careers in the context of our renowned liberal arts tradition. 

MANAGEMENT PROGRAM

Effective managers are strong organizers, planners, problem-solvers and motivators who can help a business or organization compete and succeed.

Management is an ideal major for grooming the corporate generalist. It develops decision-makers who are well equipped with a broad knowledge of all areas of business including accounting, business information systems, finance, marketing and economics. Management majors pursue a curriculum that emphasizes courses in these core areas.

They may also choose an emphasis in behavioral management (motivation, conflict, group dynamics) or quantitative management (statistics, models, computer simulations).

Four concentrations are available to management majors:
  • Family Business
  • Entrepreneurship
  • Global Business Management
  • Human Resource Management
Each concentration requires a major to take 9 credits as management electives. (See Curriculum & Courses page.)

Students may also minor in management. (See Minors in Business.)

Careers in Management

Management majors are well-equipped for career opportunities in a variety of businesses and not-for-profit organizations, such as human resources management, organizational development, production and operations management, sales and retail management; and supervisory positions in many fields including manufacturing, education, government and non-profit entities.

Other job opportunities exist in the areas of international business, purchasing, urban planning, health care administration, and plant management.

Additionally, quantitative and computer-related courses provide a solid foundation for careers in system analysis, business information systems, marketing research, and materials management and planning.

Faculty Research & Honors

More
    Oct 16, 2017

Dr. Carol Wittmeyer
    WITTMEYER
    Associate Professor of Management, Management Department, School of Business
    Dr. Carol Wittmeyer was an invited speaker for the Albany Family Business Owners' Forum on Tuesday, Oct. 11, at the Capital Region Chamber of Commerce Schenectady Office. Her talk was titled "Planning for the Unexpected."

Management at SBU

Management majors learn a lot and are prepared for the real world.

Fact Sheet