The Honors Program at St. Bonaventure University brings highly motivated and academically qualified students into novel, stimulating and productive interaction with the faculty. Students are welcome to participate in as much of the program as they desire, or they may fulfill all the requirements for a degree with honors.
Requirements for enrollment in the Honors Program
- Incoming students must have a minimum high school average of 90 and a SAT score of at least 1270 (New SAT - Math & Evidence Based Reading & Writing) OR an ACT score of 26.
- Enrolled students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.25 each semester.
- Review of Honors student GPA will begin after the student has completed two semesters at St. Bonaventure University and continue after each completed semester thereafter.
- Enrolled students must take at absolute minimum one Honors-designated course every other semester to maintain their status as Honors students.
- Transfer students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher at the institution they are leaving for St. Bonaventure or meet the same standards as incoming students.
- Transfer students will be granted up to 6 transfer credits for Honors courses passed with a grade of B+ or higher, subject to the approval of the Director of the Honors Program.
- Early registration will be available to any students in the Honors Program if they are enrolled in an Honors Course at the time of registration.
Requirements for enrolled students invited to join the Honors Program
- Students with a cumulative GPA of 3.50 after their first semester enrolled at St. Bonaventure University will be invited to join the Honors Program.
- Students accepting the invitation to the Honors Program will meet with the Honors Program Director in an orientation session designed to explain the program requirements and ensure that prospective Honors students are aware of the policies for enrollment in the Honors Program.
- Students invited to join the Honors Program will be granted Honors Student status if they are able to enroll in an Honors Course upon invitation. Early registration will be available to any students in the Honors Program if they are enrolled in an Honors Course at the time of registration.
- Students invited to join the Honors Program will be evaluated again following the second semester enrolled at St. Bonaventure University. Any enrolled student invited to join the Honors Program must maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 after the first full year enrolled to remain an Honors Student. Enrolled students whose GPA falls below 3.25 after the second semester will be removed from any Honors course registered for and will be denied admittance into the Honors Program.
Requirements for a degree with Honors
To earn a “Degree with Honors,” the highest undergraduate degree offered by the university, students must fulfill all of the requirements listed below. Honors courses are populated entirely with students who are in the Honors Program. Courses that are a hybrid of students in the Honors Program and those not in the honors program can count in the Honors Experience.
- Take five Honors Courses (see Honors Courses for information about specific courses):
- No more than TWO should be from the First-year Honors Courses category.
- At least THREE should be Advanced Honors Courses.
- Before registration each semester, the Honors Program director will provide a list of First-year Honors Courses and of Advanced Honors Courses. Contact the Honors Program Director with questions.
- The Honors Project (HON 498/499)
This is the capstone to the Honors Program — a two-semester, three-credit research or creative endeavor designed by the student to be of sufficient scope to merit recognition as an Honors Project.
- ONE Honors Experience which can be fulfilled by an additional honors course or hybrid of honors addition to a regular course; other credit-bearing experiences such as research, independent study, study abroad, teaching assistantships, internships, among others. This experience must be conveyed to and approved by the Honors Director.
Policies for suspension and dismissal from the Honors Program
- Enrolled students with a cumulative GPA between 3.00 and 3.25 will be suspended from the Honors Program for one semester. If the suspended student does not raise his/her cumulative GPA to 3.25 or higher in the following semester, the student will be dismissed from the Honors Program. Students suspended from the Honors Program will not be allowed to register early for courses in the semester of the suspension and will not be able to register for Honors Courses until the suspension is lifted.
- Enrolled students with a cumulative GPA below 3.00 will be dismissed from the Honors Program.
- Students dismissed from the Honors Program will have the opportunity to reapply for admission with the Director of the Honors Program once the student is able to raise his/her cumulative GPA above 3.25. Applications for readmission to the Honors Program will be brought to the Honors Council for deliberation.