B.A. in Journalism & Mass Communication
The objectives of this program go beyond teaching students to write clearly and concisely. Our students will also learn to:
- craft messages in ways that are appropriate for specific audiences;
- research critically, filter the results and present them in a cogent manner;
- have a practical understanding of their chosen field of work;
- integrate broad-based learning into their professional activities;
- understand that with their power as communicators comes a moral and ethical responsibility;
- understand the meaning of citizenship in the context of their professional activities and their personal lives;
- recognize and overcome biases, prejudices and limited viewpoints (including their own) so that they can communicate effectively in a diverse world.
Majors take 40 hours of required J/MC courses -- 11 required courses and three J/MC electives. Each student is is assigned a faculty adviser who will review the student's program.
Additional requirements for graduation include the completion of 400 internship hours, under the guidance of an internship coordinator.
Majors are eligible for the Washington Semester Program at American University in Washington, D.C., which carries 12 credits and internship hours; and may also participate in St. Bonaventure's study abroad programs or the Oxford Summer Program.