The School of Arts and Sciences offers a Master of Arts degree in English on the main campus in Olean.
The M.A. in English offers financial support and unique opportunities for mentored classroom teaching experience. Students enjoy:
- small classes
- close collaboration with and advising from faculty
- an excellent record of success in seeking employment or gaining admission to doctoral programs.
- Transcripts from all undergraduate colleges, showing bachelor's degree earned or in progress and a solid academic record.
- Demonstrated competency in reading Latin, French, German or Spanish. This requirement is usually fulfilled during the first semester of graduate work.
- Sufficient undergraduate coursework in English, Comparative Literature, or related subject areas, Most English M.A. students will enter with a B.A. in English or literature, but students with degrees in other disciplines are encouraged to apply.
- Two recommendations addressing the applicant's ability to successfully undertake graduate study.
- Official scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) — general test or a 10-12 page academic writing sample. This requirement may now be waived for applicants with a especially strong GPAs in both English and overall studies (3.50/3.25). However, students wishing to be considered for the Learning Teaching Fellowship will need to submit the writing sample as part of that selection process.
- Additional information (e.g. interview, writing sample) as may be requested by the program director.
As a learning/teaching fellow at St. Bonaventure University, you will assist senior faculty and teach under their guidance, giving you a competitive edge in the demanding academic marketplace. Learn more
To get a comprehensive overview of our Master of Arts in English program, take a look at our e-brochure.