The School of Education at St. Bonaventure University offers a Collaborative Clinic that includes a Counseling Center and a Reading Center, which are described below. The Collaborative Clinic serves the counseling and literacy needs of children and adults in the Southern Tier of New York and Northern Tier of Pennsylvania. The Clinic is located in Room 156 of Plassmann Hall.
St. Bonaventure University’s School of Education Outpatient Counseling Clinic opened in 2004, offering academic, behavioral and mental health services to children, their families, and adults in the community. The clinic serves both the university community and surrounding, under served communities in Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, and Erie Counties in New York, as well as McKean County in Pennsylvania. The clinic offers group and individual counseling formats.
Services of the Outpatient Counseling Clinic
- Academic Support: This individual or group counseling will focus on youth with academic difficulties, and who may need assistance with motivation, organization and study habits.
- Parenting: Parenting skills training will be the focus of this group. It is designed for parents whose children are coping with attention deficit hyperactive disorder (ADHD), oppositional defiant disorder (ODD), bipolar disorders, general discipline problems, or any other conduct disorders. This service will be provided to the parents who need assistance and support
with behavior management.
- Mental Health: Group and individual counseling is offered for a wide variety of mental health concerns, including but not limited to: child abuse intervention, childhood obesity intervention and prevention, and special education assistance for psychosocial issues.
How to Contact Us
- To schedule an appointment, call the clinic at (716) 375-7670. An initial interview will then be scheduled. The clinic is located in room 156 of Plassmann Hall.
- Clients will then meet with an advanced master’s-level Counselor Education student from St. Bonaventure. All clinical services are provided by graduate students seeking a master’s degree, supervised by a licensed psychologist or nationally certified doctoral-level clinical counselor.
- A fee of $100 covers all services offered during any given semester.
Words of Praise.....
“The clinic provides an affordable option for counseling services
for families outside of school. Access to the clinic is a great benefit
to children and families in the Olean City School District.”
Olean School Psychologist
The Clinic Brochure provides a description of services offered at the clinic.
The Reading Center is located in Room 156 of Plassmann Hall at St. Bonaventure University. We serve students in kindergarten through twelfth grades from Southwestern New York and Northwestern Pennsylvania. The focus of our efforts is assessment and instruction in reading.
From May through July, The St. Bonaventure Reading Center also offers a satellite reading center at Mount Mercy Academy in South Buffalo. That program provides clients in the South Buffalo area with affordable assessment and tutoring in reading. Please contact Dr. Karen Wieland at (716) 375-2369 if you are interested in being placed on our waiting list for the Mount Mercy Program.
For more information regarding the programs of the Reading Center, please contact
Dr Karen Wieland
Plassmann B28, St. Bonaventure University
St. Bonaventure, NY 14778