There have been several incidents on campus recently which involved the theft of electronic items such as gaming devices, smart phones, laptops, etc. Several of these incidents took place during times when dorm rooms were left unlocked and unattended. In several cases, for very short periods of time.
Anyone witnessing unauthorized activity on campus is asked to immediately call x2525 with as much descriptive information as possible. Some basic theft prevention measures are listed below:
Precautions to Take:
- Do not leave valuables (including cash) in your room unattended. Take valuables home with you over the Christmas break period.
- Doors and windows to your residence halls should be locked. Peep holes should be used when allowing anyone access to your room and should not be removed. Always lock your doors when you are absent. Do not loan out your key or ID card.
- Never compromise your safety for a roommate who asks you to leave the door unlocked.
- Do not prop doors open and leave them unsecured day or night.
- Do not leave your identification, wallets, checkbooks, jewelry, cameras, and other valuables in open view.
- Program your phone's speed dial memory with emergency numbers that include Campus Security, family and friends.
- Know your neighbors and don't be reluctant to report illegal activities and suspicious loitering.
- Non-residents of a hall should not be allowed access to the hall unless they are the guests of a resident of that hall
- All guests must be properly registered and should never be left unattended.
- Stay alert at all times and tuned in to the surroundings.
- Trust your instincts; get help right away if the situation or place is uncomfortable.
Anyone with information on any of these incidents is asked to provide information to the Office of Safety & Security at x2525. If you prefer to remain anonymous, you can submit a report through the Silent Witness Program