Who are the College Democrats?
The purpose of the College Democrats is the advancement of ideas such as equality, justice, liberty, life and civil rights as grounded in the Democratic Party of the United States of America. We declare our voluntary effort to support and propagate the principles of the Democratic Party as well as the advancement of its candidates and platform in the elections and actions of student and civil government at all levels.
We strive to:
- educate and promote to the St. Bonaventure community the principles and platform of the Democratic Party, which we believe is the beat party for the interests of our generation and our nation.
- instruct our members in the political process, and to foster ethical and honorable civic participation among them in the political process.
- develop and coordinate activities to recruit and unite students who are members of the Democratic Party, and in doing so provide a voice for Democrats at St. Bonaventure University.
- engage actively in the marketplace of ideas, so as to stimulate and broaden thought.
- maintain an organization guided by the ideals, standards, traditions and laws St. Bonaventure University and the Democratic Party, so as to train members in political technology for the sound stewardship of an activist partisan political organization.
- develop strong leadership abilities and political skills among Democratic students as preparation for future service to the Democratic Party and to the United States of America.
Past events and activities:
- Rock for Reform: a concert for educating students on the health care reform bill and in favor of the bill.
- Held gatherings in the auditoriums (open to the campus), where we showed/watched the 2008 presidential speeches and debates.
- Held our own political discussions open to the campus such on various topics.
- Helped with the local congressional election, and brought the Democratic candidate to campus.
- Brought former congressional candidate Matt Zeller to campus to speak.
- Worked with the College Republicans to provide the American flag you see outside of the Reilly Center.
- Host more political discussions where all are welcome
- Have professors on campus give talks about different political issues they specialize in
- Hold public viewings of politically relevant films
- Work on various campaigns come election season
Staff Adviser: Dr. Chris Stanley, firstname.lastname@example.org
SBU College Democrats on Facebook