Why study gerontology?
America has an aging population and we are not yet prepared to deal with it. This developing crisis creates rapidly expanding career opportunities for you.
- Federal, state, and local government employment in the field must increase to develop policies and programs effecting the aging population.
- Research and policy initiatives from university settings will need academically qualified professionals.
- The entire health care field will require professionals in gerontology in hospitals, nursing homes, retirement communities, and home care programs.
- Professional advisement in the areas of estate planning, investments, housing, social security, and Medicare will be essential.
- Counseling services based upon psychological, philosophical, and spiritual approaches must be offered.