The SBL Advanced Certificate program is designed for elementary and secondary teachers and school counselors seeking to become school principals. This offering is 24 hours in length, and includes coursework in curriculum development, school finance and law, supervision, leadership and school-community relations. Six (6) hours of equivalent coursework may be accepted for transfer with the approval of the program director.
The SBL program is offered via a unique "hybrid" format. Each class meets 3 times (on Saturdays) per semester, with the rest of the course work completed online. The setting for these Saturday sessions alternates, by semester, between the University’s Olean and Hamburg locations. The SBL program offers fall starts and can be finished up in four semesters with no summer classes.
The SBL program meets NY course requirements for SBL certification.
SBL program requirements
Admission to the SBL programs requires:
- Master’s degree in education or a certification-related area, with a 3.0 or better
- Teacher or school counselor certification
- Three years of K-12 school experience
- References (two, at least one from a supervising principal or superintendent)
- Interview & writing sample