St. Bonaventure University offers students the opportunity to pursue one of three pathways to careers in leadership in school districts. The programs prepare leaders to understand and reflect a vision for schools, manage professional learning organizations, create actionable plans that lead from problem to solution and build skills to ensure success in a dynamic work environment.
The three pathways offered within the educational leadership program:
- SBL — School Building Leader (24 credits)
- MSED in Educational Leadership (30 credits with the SBL embedded within the program of study)
- SDL — School District Leader (12 credits beyond the SBL)
The program prepares candidates to conduct and analyze educational research and gives them more in-depth courses and experiences at the district level.
SBL & SDL classes meet (alternating) at both the SBU Buffalo Center and the main SBU campus in Olean and employ a hybrid format. Classes meet on Saturdays three times each semester, with the rest of the coursework done online.
Admission to the MSED program requires:
- Master’s degree in education (or a certification-related area), with a 3.0 or better GPA
- Teacher or school counselor certification
- Three years of K-12 school experience
- GRE or MAT score (NY State requirement)
- References (two, at least one from a supervising principal or superintendent)
- Interview & writing sample
See the SBL and SDL pages for information about admission to those programs
Get printable PDFs of the programs
MSED Educational Leadership
School Building Leader
School District Leader